Good Morning & Happy Fourth of July!
Hopefully, wherever you are you’re experiencing the same beautiful weather that we’re having in CT. Anyone around here who is hosting a party today definitely lucked out! The weather couldn’t be better!
Before running out to enjoy the weather and some festivities I wanted to leave you with a quick dessert you can throw together for the Fourth or really anytime you want something that’s quick, delicious and can be made up to look pretty. Behold My Fourth of July Berry Trifle…..
I’m not really sure where the original recipe came from. My aunt (Hi Aunt Patty!) made this one Thanksgiving for us using chocolate cake, chocolate pudding and cherries. I believe she also brushed some liqueur on the cake pieces before layering. This is my lighter spin of her version of the dessert. It’s always a hit and it’s addictive, so proceed at your own risk. 😉
Fourth of July Berry Trifle
- 1 Pound Cake Loaf* (light if you can find it) or Angel Food Cake
- 1 Box Pudding Mix* (I use the Instant Fat Free/Sugar Free version that makes 4 servings)
- Skim Milk (to make the pudding with)
- Large Tub of Cool Whip (I use the fat free)
- Fruit (I used strawberries, blueberries & banana)
*Depending on the size of your serving bowl you may have to increase the amount of pudding you make. Mine was rather large so I made 2 boxes of pudding and used about 1 1/2 loaves of the cake.
- Make the pudding and put it in the fridge to set.
- Cut your cake loaf into bite sized cubes.
- Slice the strawberries and banana.
Once your pudding has set (about 5-10 minutes but I usually wait longer):
4. Layer a large container or individual serving bowls/glasses (get creative) with the cake pieces.
5. Spread a layer of pudding over the cake pieces.
6. Top the pudding with your fruit of choice. Sprinkle it around so that each serving will contain a good mixture of each fruit.
7. Smooth a layer of Cool Whip over the berries.
8. Repeat steps 4-7 one more time.
9. Decorate the top of the trifle as you wish or just leave a smooth layer of the Cool Whip and do nothing more.
10. Keep refrigerated until serving.
Serve & Enjoy!
Have a wonderful, safe & happy Fourth!!