How’s this Monday morning treating you? Can you believe it’s already August 1st? Where is this summer going?????
I don’t remember last summer flying quite so quickly. Rob and I had just met and I seem to compare last summer to this one by certain things that we were doing at the same time. I hope that the month slows down so we can enjoy every drop of summer that we can. After last winter I’m holding on for dear life!
Rob must be in the same mind-frame as me, because he mentioned during dinner on Saturday night that we need to start planning our month. There are so many things that we wanted to do before summer is over and now we’re down to the final stretch. We’re hoping to take a trip up to Boston for a weekend, have my family over for a BBQ (since most still haven’t seen where I’ve moved to), go on a boat ride with a specific group of friends, get some tubing in and the list goes on. Maybe during lunch today I’ll write everything out. I know it’s going to be difficult to get all of my siblings to be available on the same day. We have such different schedules and one of my sisters is in the process of closing on a house AND planning her wedding. Talk about double the stress!!
I have so many hopes for the coming months. I’m trying to create some new traditions with family and friends (Ex: taking a trip out to the wineries, a long weekend away, monthly dinners, pumpkin/apple picking, a cookie decorating party, etc). We just have to start implementing everything. I’ve already discussed certain ideas with various people and they seem open to my suggestions. Now, I just have to take action and make sure it happens. It’s just too easy to let time pass by without fitting it all in. One day you look back and wonder how yet another year has passed by.
Speaking of having to take action, I have some goals for myself that I need to jump on. Maybe it’s the not so lazy days of summer that have me stuck in a rut. Whatever it is, my tush needs to start moving in high gear. Before you know it, it’ll be time to make New Years’ resolutions. I honestly don’t like waiting until a specific date for motivation and to get things done. My goals now (at least the short-term goals) should be far behind me by January 1, 2012. So, without further ado, here are my goals for August, in no particular order:
1. Work out at least 4 times per week. I’m hoping for 5 days, but want to be realistic.
2. Try yoga. One of Rob’s friends has mentioned how great this has been for him & suggested I give it a shot. It’s also been on my “To Do” list for what seems like forever. I’m just a big chicken to take my first class alone.
3. Try Zumba. I have no rhythm, but I’m sure I won’t be alone. I’m trying to find some fun cardio that will make me want to make it to the gym.
4. Try 1 new recipe each week. Homemade turkey meatballs are on my list (and are actually a request from Rob). Can you believe I’m Italian and have never made them from scratch? I guess that’s because my mom’s are so darn hard to compete with! 😉
5. Read at least 1 new book this month. I just finished reading “A Stolen Life: A Memoir” by Jaycee Dugard. Rob surprised me with a kindle before he left for his business trip 2 weeks ago. I’m excited to download my first book onto it and get reading!
6. Read the news! I have a confession. I’m horrible with this and always feel out of the loop with current events. I think that it’s very important to keep on top of things and will make an effort to do this at least a few times a week.
7. Have my family over for a BBQ. Food, family & fun. What’s not to like? I just have to make it happen!
8. Allow myself to indulge in something I’d really like to eat at a restaurant. I still have a difficult time allowing myself a treat.
9. Clean the guest bedroom. Currently, it’s housing all of the boxes that I’m not quite sure what to do with since I moved. Seeing as I moved in March I think it’s about time to clean the room up so we can actually have guests stay over.
10. Make this blog better. I’m thinking of giving the blog a makeover. There’s a certain professional I have my eye on to help me with the transformation. My goal is to at least make contact with her this month to see how much this might set me back and what the wait time will be. I’m also going to get into the groove of creating a writing schedule for myself. Right now, I randomly fit writing in whenever I see the chance.
11. Look into a nutrition certification. Currently, I’m certified by AFPA as a health & wellness counselor. I’d like to further my degree so that I can turn my love of nutrition and helping people into a career. I’m thinking of either the Institute for Integrative Nutrition or a program to become a registered dietician (I couldn’t seem to find anything in my area, the last time I looked).
12. Strengthen/Create Friendships. After college, the majority of my friends scattered to completely different states. Everyone started new jobs, got married/are in relationships, started to have kids and our friendship started to take a backseat. I’d like to strengthen old friendships by reaching out (I already have a card going out to a lifetime friend) and create new friendships in the area. I’m hoping that by pushing myself into new situations (like taking yoga & Zumba) I’ll meet some new like-minded people. I’m also going to work on building relationships with the wives/girlfriends of Rob’s friends. I have one sister that lives in Long Island and I’m going to make it a point to get together with her for coffee or random shopping trips.
13. Try not to be so reliant on Rob. I’m not sure if “reliant” is the correct word. I’m SO attached to him. If I know that he’ll be home I try to be too. It’s part of the reason I get my workout in before work. Knowing that I’m not missing anything with him (since he’s sleeping) makes it less hard to leave him at the house. Believe me, I still give him a million kisses before I get my booty out that door to the gym, but I have an easier time with it than say going to the gym after work, knowing that he’s home watching tv. This prevents me from hanging out with people and/or doing things I need/want to do (eyebrows, shopping, classes and sometimes even blogging). I’ve discussed this with Rob multiple times. He pushes me to do new things. I have to take the initiative to do it myself. He has assured me that he knows how much I love him and that by doing things for myself doesn’t mean that I love him any less. I have no problem when he does these things for himself, but seem to have an issue when the roles are reversed.
I think that’s a pretty well-rounded goal list for August. What do you think? There are already things I know I’d like to include for the fall, but that’s really getting ahead of myself.
- What are some of your goals for August?
- Do you have any great recipes you’d like to share with me?
- Any book suggestions to fill my kindle with?
- If you know of a good registered dietician program in the Long Island area, please do share!
Have a great day! 🙂